In addition to working out consistently, I decided to go plant-based as part of my efforts to enhance my holistic lifestyle and keep my body pure. I’m 3 months in now, and wanted to share my favorite no-brainer, SUPER easy and delicious lentil spaghetti recipe that is perfect for beginner vegans or anyone wanting to try a plant-based meal that isn’t too far off from “the norm” for meat-eaters. And of course, seasoned vegans can enjoy this too! At the end of the day… everybody loves spaghetti, right?
Honestly, this has become a very popular dish to make at home. I am a huge noodle lover and this recipe satiates every time. On the contrary, I’m not a big bean lover… and definitely had to train my taste buds to like them because girl’s gotta get her protein in! What I love most about spaghetti sauce is that the steamed lentils do a wonderful job at absorbing the flavor so that I’m not left with a strong “bean-like” taste. I actually throw A LOT of lentils into my spaghetti because it’s a sure-fire way to get me to consume them without totally dreading them. One thing I promised myself on this plant-based journey is that I’ve got to enjoy it – or it won’t be sustainable for the long-run.
Long of the short is that lentils are a stellar protein-rich replacement for ground beef in traditional spaghetti – tried and tested! Give it a try yourself, and let me know what you think.
I’ll never be able to write professional recipes. When I cook, I don’t totally measure out each ingredient. I sort of eyeball how much I would need to make at least 2 servings, and any extra would just be leftovers! Oh, and for all you meal preppers out there… you’ll be delighted to know that this reheats very well! I typically make an extra 2-4 extra servings so that when I’m busy during the week, I can eat a delicious homemade meal.
Here’s what you’ll need to make lentil spaghetti:
- spaghetti noodles
- tomato sauce of your choice (make sure there isn’t cheese already in the sauce if you are going for a vegan spaghetti)
- lentils of your choice
- yellow, white, or purple onion (I use these interchangeably, but used a yellow one this time)
- fresh basil leaves chopped
- chopped garlic
- cilantro or parsley depending on your liking (I LOVE cilantro!)
- a dash of extra virgin olive oil (to prevent sticking)
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- onion powder to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- hemp seeds for garnishing
Usually, I love to add white mushrooms into my lentil spaghetti but I didn’t have any on hand when I made it this time. It’s a nice addition without feeling like I’m trying too hard to add a bunch of veggies into it. To be quite honest, I am very generous with how much onion, garlic, cilantro, and basil leaves I put into this. The combination makes the spaghetti SO flavorful – I just love it!
Let’s get cooking!
- In a pot, bring lentils to a boil and let it steam for 20-30 minutes. In a pan, boil spaghetti noodles until al dente or to your liking. I like it chewy so I don’t let it boil for more than 10 minutes!
- While waiting for the lentils and noodles to cook, wash & dice onions, cilantro, basil, and mushrooms (if you decide to add any). If you choose to use fresh garlic cloves, you’ll need to dice that up as well. I buy pre-chopped garlic from the grocery store to save time and hassle – tastes just as great.
- When lentils & spaghetti are cooked, strain in a strainer.
- Lightly stir-fry the veggies & lentils in a pan with a dash of olive oil. This is where you’d also add the garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper to your liking.
- Once onions appear soft, toss in the spaghetti noodles. Add spaghetti sauce into the pan and mix well until everything is incorporated.
- Serve lentil spaghetti while hot, and add a dash of cilantro and hemp seeds to taste! Though hemp seeds taste nothing like cheese, they also don’t taste like anything and give that nice “cheese garnishing” aesthetic. Do it for the ‘gram, and get some extra protein in, too!
- Portion out any leftover lentil spaghetti to enjoy later if necessary.
And there you have it – a hearty lentil spaghetti that is perfect for one or two, or to share with your family. You can make this in under 20 minutes! If you already have everything prepped ahead of time, then you could be quicker! Gotta love a satisfying meal that’s doable even on a busy day or after a long day at work.
On a side note… coronavirus is really taking over and we could all practice measures to keep our bodies healthy and immune systems strong! Give my fresh POWER C juice recipe a try and thank me later.